Debra J. Golen specializes in holistic counseling, clinical therapy, & family counseling in New Bedford MA and the southeastern MA region


Holistic Therapist, Clinical Therapist, Family Counseling, Adults, Children, geriatrics, New Bedford MA, Dartmouth MA, Fairhaven MA
Debra J. Golen, M.A, LMHC, LADC I, LSW

Q:   What kinds of insurance do you accept?

A: I accept many different insurances, and I am continually updating my list of accepted insurances. You can call the phone number on the back of your insurance card to see if I am one of their contracted providers, or you can contact me, and I will provide you with that information. Most insurances have “Out of Network Benefits” which may be identical to the “In Network Benefits.”

Under insurances accepted it should read "." Delete Optum if they are listed.

As of May 2011, we are contracted with the following insurance companies:

  • B/C B/S - All plans
  • Beacon Health Strategies
  • CeltiCare
  • Cenpatico Behavioral Health
  • Commonwealth Health Care
  • Coventry
  • Fallon
  • First Health
  • Great West
  • Medicare Advantage
  • Network Health
  • Optium Health Behavioral Solutions
  • PacifiCare Behavioral Health
  • TriCare
  • Tufts
  • United Healthcare
  • Value Options
  • United Behavioral Health
  • All Mass Health plans EXCEPT straight standard and MBHP

Insurers are continually being added, so contact us if your insurer is not on this list. Please note: Currently, I am unable to accept MassHealth, Medicare and HMO Blue Cross. If I am unable to see you, I can help you find someone who can.

Q:   What if I have no insurance?

A: Most importantly, you need to obtain health insurance before you have a major health problem. I can provide you with information to get insurance, and in the meantime, I have one of the lowest sliding-fee scales in the Southeastern Massachusetts area. If my fees are still too high, I do provide some free care, but not greater than 10% of my caseload. You might also call New Bedford Child & Family Emergency Services at 508-996-3154, if you live in the area from Wareham to Dartmouth, or Corrigan Mental Health at 508-235-7200 if you live in the Greater Fall River area.

Q:   How do I know if I, or my child, is just feeling sad, or is depressed?

A: There are many reputable websites which list the diagnostic criteria for depression and other depressive disorders. Children and adolescents will likely seem more irritable instead of depressed, which can be difficult to distinguish from their usual behavior. Parents need to trust their instincts and realize that they are the Expert when it comes to their child. Please feel free to call me, without charge, to discuss your concerns.

However, if you, or someone you know is feeling suicidal or expressing suicidal thoughts, please call one of the Emergency Services agencies:
  • New Bedford Child & Family Emergency Services at 508-996-3154 – If you live in the area from Wareham to Dartmouth
  • Corrigan Mental Health at 508-235-7200 – If you live in the Greater Fall River area
  • Call 911
  • You may also go to the Emergency Room at your local hospital.

Q:   How do I know if I need therapy?

A: Only you can answer this question. There are many reasons why people seek counseling. Individuals and families commonly enter therapy when they are experiencing levels of distress which they feel unable to handle alone. If you're taking the time to look up this information, I'm guessing that there are some things in your life that you'd like to change. Why not call me and we'll discuss it.

Q:   I can't leave my home due to physical and mental health problems but need counseling, what are my options?

A: I am very comfortable providing home based treatment if you are unable, or uncomfortable leaving your home. Please call me, if I am unable to provide treatment for you, I can help you find someone who can.

Q:   Do you see children?

A: I have counseled clients from three to 103 years old. When treating children, up to the age of eight-12 years old, depending on the child's maturity, parent(s) need to be involved to help their son or daughter. Usually, when children present for treatment it is due to either behavioral problems or trauma issues, both of which parental involvement is invaluable.

Q:   What if I need medication?

A: Sometimes people do need medication. Research shows that for certain problems, a combination of medication and therapy is the most effective treatment. This can be discussed at the first session and I can help you obtain an appointment with a provider in the area who can prescribe needed medication.

Q:   I refuse to take any medication, no matter what?

A: OK, there are other, natural ways, to alleviate symptoms of most psychological problems, but it will take work on your part. However, like other diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure, some illnesses require medication. Let's get together and identify your options.

Q:   My child/parent refuses to go to an office to see a counselor. What do I do?

A: As long as you live in the greater New Bedford or Fall River areas, I do home visits. I am not willing to treat anyone without their consent, or the permission of a guardian, but usually seeing clients at home greatly reduces the fear and resistance regarding counseling. There are many ways we can work around this reluctance, again, call me and we'll talk about options.